Thursday 28 February 2013

Draft #2

As previously said, I was unhappy with my draft cover, and so I have constructed another draft in a more preferred style. As also previously said, I really liked the 'punk special' issue of Sniffin' Glue magazine:


and so I have based my new draft around this design. The centre image of the female model was taken recently in my second photoshoot, whilst the other two images of the male models came from my first photoshoot. I pieced them together quickly just to get an idea of how I wanted my cover to look. 
As I didn't have the required technology at home, I had to use several websites such as picmonkey.com to edit the images, and I finally pieced them together on Microsoft Powerpoint as it was the best software I had to offer from home. I then decided to draw the text on, rather than typing it, as I couldn't download any fonts which suited the style I was going for. I then showed my initial design: 


to one of my teachers so as to get a second opinion; and because he said he liked it a lot, I created a proper draft on Photoshop, using the Bamboo Pen tablet which enabled me to still create a drawn on effect although it was entirely done vitrually. This is my second draft, created on Photoshop:

  

  I like everything I have done so far, although I feel that there is too much space left uncluttered down the sides, as I am going for a busy and slightly edgy look. I stuck to what I had originally come up with, although I left out a few pieces of text which I felt needed to be altered better to fit my chosen style, though this clearly needs to be added back in upon deciding how I want the cover to read, and decided to add a green tint to my cover image so as to create a 'grunge' look, as I thought black and white was a little boring, as well as adding a price under the issue details. 
My magazine is not targetted at the majority of youth culture, and therefore, I think a little chaos within the layout and the typography etc. is entirely appropriate and would result in creating something fresh and different and would break the conventions of a typical music magazine, hopefully in a good way. However, I think I should incorporate some existing fonts as well as using my own hand, as nothing seems to jump out at the minute and I think a bit of variation would make it look more interesting (which is something Sniffin' Glue have achieved). 
I will organise another shoot with all three of my models as soon as possible, so as to be able to pick an image which will best reflect my magazine as a whole and have a few more to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment