Sunday 24 February 2013

Draft Magazine Feedback

Having asked some of my classmates to comment on my first draft, the responses I received were very constructive and generally positive. The photos I had taken were given quite a lot of praise, as the poses, costume and choice of backgrounds 'reflected the genre' of my magazine, according to my peers. I am also pleased with my pictures and intend to take more incorporating the same style. However, my teacher commented on the cover image and said that it wasn't working due to props used, and I agree that this is a problem and will bear this in mind, although he also commented on my chosen model several times and said that she had a sense of 'charisma' which couldn't be wasted.
Praise was also given to my chosen masthead; both the name and the font. I agree that the title of my magazine works well, but my teacher felt that the font needed to be more conventional and 'blocky', and so I will think more about this and will begin looking into a range of different fonts. The colour scheme used on the front cover was commented on as being 'unclear', which I agree with, as I rushed this when creating my draft and instead based it around the colours my model was wearing, as opposed to choosing what would work well together. I am unhappy with my cover as a whole and will change most aspects of it, including layout, colour scheme and font choices.
My contents page layout was well received by students and was even noted as looking 'professional', although I think it is slightly sloppy in places. My teacher also liked the layout, and so I don't think I will make many changes to it, except from the choice of colour scheme and fonts etc. which I feel are currently letting it down.
My double page spread was also well received, and praise included the way I had picked out certain colours from the background and used them to highlight pieces of text, as well as how said text was positioned. My teacher suggested a few changes such as; crediting the writer and the photographer, making the bold text on the right hand side smaller, ensuring that the collumns were the same length and width, and adding pull out quotes to break up the text. I wanted to add pull out quotes when creating my draft, but I ran out of time, and so will definitely make sure that this is something I do next time. I also agree with the other comments made and will take them on board. I once again do not like the colour scheme I have chosen, and I particularly dislike the background colour behind the main article, which was also used on the front cover and looks very dull and boring.
I also posted a link to the post showing my draft magazine on social networking sites Twitter and Facebook, and received a comment from a friend, who suggested a few alterations on each page. He generally liked my contents page and double page spread, as most others seemed to, but proposed slight changes including; adding more pictures to the contents page, and changing the background effect on the right hand side of the double page spread. With regards to the cover, he stated that the image looks stretched, the barcode/text should be tidied up (as my teacher had also said), and that more text was required around the model to fill the empty space and create the busy style I was going for. I agree with all of this and will consider these points when creating my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment