Saturday 16 March 2013

Changes to Contents


These images were taken from two separate photos which I cut around and edited together. I positioned the each accordingly and then drew around the edges using the Bamboo Pen tablet so as to hide any messy bits. I changed it to black and white, and then played around with the effects until it gradually became a kid of sepia colour.


Whilst altering my contents page, my first thought was to add some colour to the inside of my magazine and to make it brighter, as the cover had included a green tinge to it, and so I thought about placing a few coloured blocks behind the images I had cut out. However, I couldn't make this work, and the examples I had seen didn't seem to include much colour anyway. I added some text to the box, using an exisiting font this time, and drew more text at the bottom.


After looking at the images I had chosen to work with, I realised that I had better photos I could use. I used the same image of Richard (the model on the right), because I felt that his pose was great and he was directly focused on the camera. However, the image of Bill (the model on the left) wasn't of the same quality, as his hair was obscuring his face from the camera, and so I changed this to a photo which looked more professional. The image of Ella (the model in the centre) was good in terms of facial expression, but because her body was obsured by the guitar neck in the same photo and her arm was cut off slightly, I had to also change this. I cut out each image and positioned them so they looked like one image by overlapping them behind or in front of each other, and then played around with the use of effects. I changed it to black and white but thought it was too boring to leave it as just that, so I applied the 'threshold' effect which made it darker and blended certain features together, making the image look drawn on.

I saved the images as one photo and placed it on the page like so, drawing a box around it which I was going to fill in somehow. I drew over the font in the other box with the Bamboo Pen tablet, so as to keep in with the handmade feel of the magazine, but to try and write in the style of the font I had found and liked to create a variation, and filled it in with a grey colour after resizing and positioning the headline. I also found a typewriter font to use for the text underneath the image, and I added more to the bottom of the page.

This is a print screen of my final contents page.
I decided to get rid of the box around the image so it looked like the images were just cut out and stuck on. I changed the opacity of the colour fill in the paper clipped text box so it didn't look like a block colour and drew a shadow around the edge, and I also changed the fill of the box above so that it varied from those at the bottom and wasn't so dark. I changed the font of the word 'contents' to the typewriter font I found, and I also used this for the phrase 'Exclusive in Jaded' and the text below the image, bar the '2013's answer to the bible...honest' part. Finally, I drew a few more headlines at the bottom of the page to fill in each section.

No comments:

Post a Comment