Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation Draft: Task 5


5. How did you attract/address your audience?

My target audience consisted of both genders aged 16-29. I think that my magazine appeals to these ages because it suggests a sense of recklessness, which is popular with among youth, but will feature some older bands as well as current ones, hense the age ranging all the way up to 29 rather than 21 or 25 etc. The bands featuring in my magazine may have been listened to people that are now of slightly older ages, but I cannot see people over the age of 30 being as interested in magazines as younger adults.
The black and white colour scheme I have chosen to stick to makes my magazine attractive to both genders, as no colours included are stereotypically gender specific, such as pink. As well as this, the feature band have both male and female members, thus attracting a wider audience.
Both British, European and American bands are featured in my magazine, and despite the fact that some of these will not be local to the audience, my magazine is about the importance of the limited good music still out there in the world, and so this will not matter to my audience. I have chosen to include bands which are current and bands which are long gone, because good music is good music, despite its time period, and the people I have targetted my magazine at will understand this and will appreciate those that started the punk movement as well as those who are keeping it going.
With regards to the front cover, the fact that I have included the tagline 'for punks and outcasts' means that a certain audience is targetted directly, and so will appeal to those who class themselves among this group, although putting others off (though this is the same for all magazines and cannot be prevented). The repetition of the word 'punk' throughout will reinforce this point and encourage the reader to turn the pages and purchase my magazine.
The language style I have used, particularly on the double page spread, is neither illiterate nor particularly literate, in that coloquialisms such as 'wanna' and taboo is included. However, some sentences are phrased with much care and thought, so as to emphasise the importance of what is being said, but also allowing a sense of freedom at the same time; for example, 'Their record, ‘Army of Three' is a breath of fresh air, liberating yet incredibly simple, as all good punk music should be - a work of pure and utter genius!' The use of taboo language will attract a certain audience but may put others off, as my magazine is aimed at those who are fed up of the mainstream and want something new that pushes the barriers - once again, this cannot be prevented, and will not put my target audience off.
The overall scruffy look of my magazine is what will attract my target audience at first glance, however, and is what will entice the reader to turn over the page and purchase the magazine. I have tried to keep this theme running throughout, and so added small touches like the image of a paper clip and the purposefully spilt ink so as to convey the handmade, unconventional look I was going for. 

 

1 comment: